Wednesday, March 21, 2007

lamp posts, menus, chorus

I like the way the lamp posts in the Grove, lean at odd angles. They are of traditional design and their unstable appearance belongs to an age, where things did not have to line up and stand to attention. From the end of the main walk in the centre of the little park, you can see three lampost set up in a straight line. Each seems to lean a little more to the left.

People reading menus in a restaurant window have the same look of sharp intelligence that you see in dogs, when food is around.

The dawn chorus wakes me this morning at around 5 o'clock. One of my earliest memories is being woken by the din of bird song, when we lived in Forest Row, a village near East Grinstead, about 20 miles from where I live now. I was four at the time.

No comments: