Wednesday, November 07, 2007

toe, polishing, wind watching

The windows of Hooper's department store are draped with red theatre curtains. The inspiration of a forthcoming window display is announced across the curtains in gold letters as: "Sleeping Beauty. English National Ballet". In one window, creeping beneath the curtain is, intriguingly, the naked toe of a mannequin.

Against the war memorial opposite the public library is a ladder. The memorial consists of a life size bronze statue of a fully equipped soldier on top of a marble plinth. This morning, on top of the ladder is a man polishing the statue with a cloth , making it ready, presumably, for the Rememberance Sunday parade.

You can see the wind as it chases the leaves over the grass and across the paths in Calverley Park.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

'Who has seen the wind?'
An AA Milne poem that curiously gave me a nightmare, one of the earliest I remember, in fact it was the Shepherd illustration of an elusive racing human form delineated by blowing leaves...

Unknown said...

I remember that illustration, and I think it was probably at the back of my mind as I saw those leaves yesterday.