Sunday, June 07, 2009

poppy time, persiflage, dancers

Posted by Picasa No compromises here.

Persiflage is too good a word to leave to the French language alone, whence it has migrated into English. Banter or mockery doesn't match up to it. But English, sad to say, doesn't have an equivalent verb to persifler or a noun, the equivalent of perfileur or persifleuse, for someone who practices persiflage.

Morris dancers troop through Chapel Place on their way to perform in the Pantiles. They wear round black hats with yellow ribbons falling falling down their back; white stockings and gaiters. Bells seem to be suspended all over their persons. They tinkle like tea trolleys. For some reason they always make me laugh even when they are not performing.

4 comments:

Lucy said...

I gather the Morris men drink a lot to give themsleves the nerve...

The Crow said...

Beautiful poppy! Georgia O'Keefe would be delighted to see it this well.

Unknown said...

Lucy: In my experience they dance as an excuse to drink.

Crow: I know her lillies but am not familar with a poppy. Must be interesting.

The Crow said...

I think there is one from the late twenties, 1927 or thereabouts, Red Poppy #5...I don't remember the numbers, as she painted a few. Your lovely photograph reminded me of O'Keefe's paintings - so intimate and personal a view of the flower.

:)