Sunday, August 02, 2009

basil,toad, sparrow hawk

Posted by Picasa Click and rub the screen over the picture lightly with your finger. If you can smell the basil, I can probably regard it as a satisfactory photograph.
.
I empty a bag of composty stuff called soil improver into a plastic bucket. I begin to add the compost to a flower bed when I notice that it is moving. A toad emerges and we exchange looks of mutual suspicion. I go to fetch my camera and the toad poses for me before hopping off.
.
High above Mount Sion, this afternoon, the sparrow hawk whose territory this is (it has been widely reported in this blog and elsewhere), is calmly floating in circles on a thermal but presumably keeping an eye open for some small bird or mammal on which to drop from the sky and capture. Toads beware.

4 comments:

The Crow said...

Ahh...the power of suggestion! I smell its heavenly perfume. The photo is satisfactory and then some.

:)

(Word verification for this comment is 'strotch'. How would you define that, Joe?

:D

Unknown said...

A "strotch" is a Scottish dialect word for a turnip which is on the point of rotting.

The Crow said...

Ah...just so.

:)

Roderick Robinson said...

Did it "gallow up"?