Sunday, June 13, 2010

sleeping, bees, 5 years


Posted by PicasaEscape.

This morning, the white  cistus by the front door is swarming with bees, so many bees, such an energetic buzzing, such a concentration of interest on the part of the insects.

I have now been writing this blog for no less than five years. I have posted regularly nearly every day as I promised myself I would. Of 1,826  possible posts including the 366 in 2006, I have posted 1796 times. When I started, I set out to follow the example of Clare Grant, whose idea of noting three beautiful things every day appealed to me (and still does) for several reasons. It is a positive affirmation of the encounters of daily life as they happen. It becomes a commentary on the place where I live, which is now somehow more real for me, as I describe the flora, and fauna of the neighbouring streets, parks and gardens, not to mention various excursions to London, to the sea and even abroad.  It attracts brevity, which means that it is not too much of a challenge to readers to tackle. It is a formula, which sharpens awareness of what is happening to me and to others around me. Because there are precisely three items to be noted  every day there is a balance and variety  of subject matter, so that the daily contrast  of subjects is often, of itself, interesting or, if you will, beautiful. I think that writing the blog and looking out for things to note everyday, has probably changed my attitude to life if not my life itself. It is immensely rewarding, particularly when I think of the friendships formed and renewed through it. This, my 1797th post, cannot escape being one of today's beautiful things.

7 comments:

The Crow said...

Congratulations on this accomplishment, Plutarch. I hope you will continue for - at a minimum - of twice as many more.

I was taking a break from the more mundane aspects of my life this afternoon and found an interesting piece of digital art, which I'll post. I think you might enjoy it...hope so, anyway.

CC said...

I, for one, have come to look forward to your posts, observations and photos.

Cheers and congratulations!

Unknown said...

Thanks, dear Crow. I'll look out for your post.

And thanks, dear CC.

Lucy said...

A quite remarkable achievement, for which I for one am extremely grateful. Your consistency and constancy never cease to delight and surprise; quite simply I don't know how you do it. Long may you continue!

Dave said...

Wow. Congratulations! I am in awe of your persistence and the consistent, high quality of your writing and observational skill.

marja-leena said...

I thought I'd posted congratulations too, but it seems to have disappeared into the ether.... so, once again, I wish you a happy 5th blogiversary and thanks to that, friendship. Wishes for many more years of pleasure in the writing and sharing.

herhimnbryn said...

Congratulations from across the seas.