Saturday, April 21, 2007

Lion, lily-of-the-valley, peeling

Half way up a gravel drive which I pass on my way down Mount Sion, I spot a lion lurking in some shrubs. It is a black, porcelain line from Indonesia, almost life-size, but all the better and, paradoxically, more realistic for being stylized.

Lily-of-the-valley unfurling.

Today, while peeling half a pomegranate I take a step forward in this imprecise art. I had left the fruit in the fridge over night. To my surprise, this morning, the skin came away more easily than usual from the pods of seeds. And most pleasing of all, the juice did not spurt all over the place.

2 comments:

tristan said...

that last paragraph will earn that nobel prize ... my nomination is in the post

Lucy said...

I'll second that, specially as it's about pomegranates.