Friday, July 03, 2009

ballet, hawk, health

Posted by Picasa Dancing across.

While discussing pigeons with one of the builders at work on the house opposite, he tells me that he has just seen a sparrow-hawk descend on and capture a young starling and devour it on the lawn.

As I enter the health food shop I see that the young woman in charge has grown about nine inches. Such is the benefit of healthy eating, I think. It is not until I am inside that I see, with some relief, that she is standing on a stool to load a shelf.

3 comments:

Zhoen said...

Still, it would be nice to be able to grow nine inches taller just by eating better.

Roderick Robinson said...

The Guardian recently carried a powerful - and harder-to-live-with - photograph of raptor skills: a hobby that had caught a swift in mid-air. In the moral maze I call my mind I can somehow shrug off the cruel death of a starling, the swift is harder to accept.

Unknown said...

Z Like Alice in Wonderland. Though she did encounter problems from growing as well as shrinking.

BB I agree. Swifts deserve a better fate.