Monday, July 27, 2009

eyes, sandwiches, who?


Posted by PicasaKipling is supposed to have written somewhere of the half human expression in dogs' eyes.
.
"Maria, at the supermarket delicatessen, always cheerful, sends you off with variations of: 'have a wonderful day," "have a wonderful Sunday", "have a wonderful rest of the week end." And she means it. Today, as I buy some ham, she says: "have some wonderful sandwiches!"
.
"Who is it who can tell me who I am?" King Lear speaking. I couldn't place the quote, which was put to me by Lucy as a cue for my next contribution to the Compasses collaboration in which we are engaged. But once I had looked it up and recalled its contents it began to haunt me. Ten monosyllabic words, which seem so important when you think about their meaning in the play. I wasn't quite sure how to proceed with the answer, but Lear pointed the way to a resonance. My answer is posted on Compasses today.

4 comments:

The Crow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Crow said...

Sorry about that, Joe. Gross number of typos in first response. Here is what I intended to write:

The dog (yours?) wears the same expression as mine once did every time I tried to take his picture. I never understood why. It was the same look he'd give us when he knew (and they do know!) he had done something he was not supposed to do.

Dog in photo is a beautiful one, makes me want to rub its ears, take it for a good walk.

I think it was Faulkner who said dogs think we humans are nuts. Might have to check my quotations on that, for I'm often wrong.

:)

Unknown said...

The dog is not mine. I do not have a dog. This one and I communed outside a shop. I have noted your blog reference to him and thank you for the quote which you say is from Steinbeck.

The Crow said...

It was Google that corrected my attribution when I went searching for Faulkner quotes about dogs to confirm my memory.

Faulkner gets blamed for a lot of things he didn't really say or write: the curse of a Southern American writer, I guess.

:)