Tuesday, April 27, 2010

graffito, anenome, fox
















I think the swastika is going in the right place in this unusual piece of graffiti (part hazard, part deliberate) ,which I see on the side of one of those boxes where telecom engineers access the tangle of landlines which they look after.

From the train we see a wood, its floor densely covered with white flowers. "Buschwinderöschen" says Heidi and "wood anemomies", say I, simultaneously . She spells out the word for me: " ...röschen" is the diminutive form of rosen, so little roses follow buschwind.

Beside the line in the afternoon sun trots a fox. How thin foxes are -a feature of their wildness! We are, by contrast, used to fat dogs! And fat cats!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

marja-leena said...

Fascinating image, the swastika seems more like its original religious symbol. And you have awakened a lovely memory of train rides in the English countryside - we arrived in the UK a year ago!

CC said...

Sorry, for me a swastika remains a symbol of
extreme suffering, massive inhumanity and hellish destruction. Highly offensive no matter what its ancient origin.

Lucy said...

No, the swastika there is not a benign one, if such a thing were possible, I'm sure. But you are right, it is being binned! It's an extraordinary found image, and wouldn't be out of place in an art gallery.

Unknown said...

I have always been under the impression that the swastika was a good luck symbol associated with sanscrit. Until, that is it was hi-jacked by the Nazis. I remember being told that Hitler got it wrong adopting a mirror image of the authentic device.Lucy is right. The one pictures is the Nazi one and as I hope is depicted by the graffiti artist going straight into the bin.

Unknown said...

M-L It is hard to believe that a year has passed since you visited us in Tunbridge Wells.

CC Of course you are right. It does have monsterous associations.

Roderick Robinson said...

I agree with CC but I also agree with the graffiti-ist. To my mind the swastika is being flushed away into a lavatory. Alas, this is not a permananent state.