Monday, October 03, 2011

conversation wisdom small talk


Posted by Picasa Conversation on the beach.

Quoted outside The Compasses: "We're not here for a long time. We're here for a good time." Another pint then.

Sometimes I can imagine how young people who give a service to the public are instructed in the difficult art of being friendly, making small talk, chatting cheerfully if vacantly. Instance: a young woman whom I barely know,  renewing my account in the building society, confirms my date
of birth. "You've just had your birthday then?" she says. "Did you have a good time?".

2 comments:

Roderick Robinson said...

But at the pub in Roupell Street we might claim we're there for both.

Lucy said...

The long and the good are all relative though...

I feel those kind of questions are verging on the intrusive, though I suppose well-meant. Also, however, I would avoid asking such things as I fear that life is a fraught and unpredictable business and one might receive an answer one didn't want to hear, along the lines of 'No I didn't,' and why not.