Wednesday, January 11, 2012

randomness unseasonal diversion


Posted by Picasa A couple of pages from my scrapbook, where randomness is the rule. Or almost. Available space is important in deciding what goes where and sometimes colour but not subject matter. Unexpected juxtapositions are the result as well as the object. It's the image that counts and its appeal to the eye, as much as what it turns up next to.  The picture bottom, left, is as it happens  a Christmas card from fellow blogger Marja-Leena  Rathe and her husband Fred. Above it on the right is a reproduction from a magazine of one of  Mark Rothko's noble abstracts.

Today, January 11, Geoff tells me outside the pub that he has just seen a bee and three butterflies in The Grove. As he speaks a bee arrives and settles on his packet of tobacco. It is attracted we suppose by  the yellow colour of the wrapping. "Look," he says, "it's exploring the bar-code."

I have always enjoyed the rather ponderous use of the word divert to mean amuse. It has a Dickensian ring about it. So it is that whenever I see, as I do today,  a  road sign announcing "Diverted Traffic", I imagine cars with smiling radiators and  windscreen-wipers dancing with hilarity.


1 comment:

marja-leena said...

The first thing to jump out at me was my card! Thanks for featuring it so nicely, and what a great idea to keep a scrapbook. I don't think I've done one since I was very young. Maybe that's what I should do with the wonderful cards, like yours, which we receive each year, instead of keeping them in boxes. I do keep a lovely basket on my desk where I keep all the correspondence them until the next year's abundance comes along. There's something so personal and real about themcompared to emails, don't you think, even though I'm guilty of writing far less by hand.