Thursday, February 02, 2012

shirts worth it sea gulls


Posted by PicasaA gathering of shirts in a window.

One of the workmen repairing a sofit under the roof of our house, reminisces about parking difficulties . Problems haven't changed much since the 1980s. "I was unloading my van," he says; "the meter man said you can have five minutes. I said it will take longer than five minutes to unload this lot. So straight away he wrote out a notice and stuck it on the window. I picked it up and put it in his pocket. Then I hit him and he fell back. He sat down on his bottom. It cost me £60.00 - a fine of £50 and £10 00 for the parking. But it was worth worth it!"

The other day I remarked that sea gulls flew often over but never landed in The Grove. Today to prove me wrong a small flock of gulls flutters in one corner and settles over a heap of crumbs left by a well-wisher.  Until along comes the crow, which regularly asserts its authority over the park. Like a thick black arrow it makes for the crowd of gulls which rises up in the air in alarm, settles on the surrounding roofs to await the crow's departure.

3 comments:

CC said...

Seems between the meter man and the Crow each species has its rules.

Roderick Robinson said...

A group of seagulls should be no problem at all. In that recent telly series about migrating birds in flight (which turns out to be something of a fraud - some of the birds being trained) a group of crows see off a golden eagle. A bit like coming across George Osborne praying: the world order appeared to have been reversed.

Unknown said...

Crow meanwhile rules. I wondered about those birds. Trained as photographers, I wonder?