Thursday, October 29, 2009

burning, chives, doubt

Posted by PicasaThe dry leaf flames when I set light to it.
It smoulders now . Like it, I smoulder still.
.
As it getting dark, I remember that I must cut some chives. Above the garden there is still light enough in the sky to see. I bend to cut the leaves with scissors and lay them in the stainless steel bowl which I have ready, before looking up at what remains of the sunset.
.
In an article in today's paper I am captivated by a judgment on scientists, which strikes me as unfair if applied to scientists, but fair enough when applied to others, particularly politicians: "Often in error, never in doubt."

5 comments:

Roderick Robinson said...

A vicious libel indeed. Scepticism is the essence of science. Dawkins once said that if credible proof of any religion were presented to him then his instinct would be to examine it, as with any other phenomenon. Mind you, the proof would have to be fairly massive before he decided to bend the knee.

CC said...

Most apt for politicians on this side of the pond as well.

marja-leena said...

I love the image!

Lucy said...

Smoulder.

Odd word the more you look at it.

Unknown said...

BB. Despite the rules of testing theories until they are proved or appear to be proved, scientists have got, and still do get things wrong. I suppose it's a question of knowing when theory ceases to be theory.We must rely on Karl Popper: "A theory proves its metal by withstanding our determined attempts to refute it."

CC Yet politicians are one supposes necessary. A dirty job, but somebody has to do it.

M-L. The leaf was on a table outside the Compasses. I tried unsuccesfully to set fire to it.

Lucy. Yes. Smoulder contains the world "mould" and I guess there is a resonance between something going mouldy and something burning slowly.