Monday, March 07, 2011

blackbird, catkins, no parking


Posted by PicasaI am thinking about blackbirds this afternoon. So far this year, though I  have seen many, male and,, like this one in The Grove, female, I haven't heard one singing. Alarm calls there have been in plenty, but that full throated territorial song has yet to announce Spring. I took this photograph a few days ago failing, in the process to catch the male who was hopping around nearby. This afternoon, a male settles on a post just a few feet in front of me. He puts it head on on one side, to say hello, I think. I manage to click my camera at waist height so as not to worry him and hope that he is in focus, but  he proves camera shy when I lift it higher, and flies off.

Masses of catkins have fallen on to the road under what I take to be a hazel tree. They look like giant, furry caterpillars.

A gate beside a house in Christ Church Avenue, a private road near The Grove, bears a plaque with the words:"Prier de ne pas stationner. Sortie de voitures." There is no English translation.

2 comments:

CC said...

My French is truly abominable, but I take it to mean something like, Don't stop (park?) here. Cars coming in and out.
What do you think?

Besides my French being truly abominable?

;-)

Unknown said...

More or less right, CC. Having English as a first language limits the value of knowing foreign languages. That goes, I suspect for a number of people who live in Tunbridge Wells, who might therefore be foregiven for parking in front of that gate.