Saturday, March 08, 2008

spice, anemone, advice

Last night, a spicy mayonnaise is based on a paste of anchovies, Dijon mustard, lemon juice and blanched parsley. These are creamed in the food processor with egg yolk before the gentle addition of oil. It brings vividly to life a fillet of pan-fried cod, which might otherwise have been dull.

The wood anemone plant, perhaps my favourite flower, which I found in garden shop has settled down nicely in a relatively sunless spot beneath the bay tree next to some pale yellow primulas.

It is one of those days when , though it doesn't rain properly, drops of water seem to blow in the wind. I retire indoors and open an anthology, which I haven't looked at for some time, in search, I suppose, of advice It is The Rattle Bag edited by Seamus Heaney and Ted Hughes. The advice which I find is from Ogden Nash and brief. It is entitled Notes on Ingenuity.
Here's a good rule of thumb
Too clever is dumb.

No comments: