Wednesday, October 03, 2007

now, crow, notebook

I was never very happy with the title of this blog. Until today, that is. The Sufi poet Rumi who wrote in Persian in the 13 th century somehow justifies it. Today I read:
"Do not look back, my friend
No one knows how the world began.
Do not fear the future, nothing lasts for ever.
If you dwell on the past or the future
You will miss the moment."

Mr and Mrs Crow, whose activities I recorded last winter, have taken up residence in the Grove once more. There is no doubt at all that they own the little park. I watch them waddling about on the grass, checking that everything is in order, as they peck out bits and pieces for their lunch.

The pages of my new notebook, started a month ago, are, as a schoolteacher might say, a marked improvement on my last one, in terms of tidiness. He has tried hard. This is partly the result of a suggestion by Marja-Leena Rathje that I should reproduce a page or two of my earlier notebook here. I looked through it, but couldn't oblige at the time because it was all such a mess and quite incomprehensible even to me. At least, now I can read what I have written and decipher what I have drawn. Posterity may thank you Marja-Leena, as I do now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I was surprised to see my name here! I'm glad you felt my suggestion worthy of a try and look forward to a picture one day. Now I must confess my sketchbook is usually not worth showing as it's full of messy notes about process and ideas, not many sketches. But I'm trying to do a nice one now that I got a lovely new one. Maybe we'll reform yet, heh!