Monday, February 08, 2010

outlet, pullover, tools

 

Vents and exits 8.

When I take off a sweater or tee shirt, I pull it from the top and tug at the sleeves, easing it up over my head so that it comes off out side out and and inside in. I have noticed that others cross their hands and pull from either side of the lower hem, and then over their heads, so that the garment finishes inside out. I ask myself, today, whether this is a technique which women rather than men use, or am I an eccentric undresser. Come to think of it, I don't think I have seen a man perform the crossed arm manoeuvre.

Interviewed on a TV programme Jeff Bezos, founder of Amazon says: "We change out tools and our tools change us." As I type this blog, I think to myself, he has a point.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Lucy said...

I have never really thought about exactly how I take a sweater off. As it is far too cold to even contemplate doing so at the moment, I'm not about to find out, but I fear when I do, it will be as one of those experiments where the observation influences the outcome, I may not perform the action as I would normally.

Anonymous said...

I saw your post in the Three Beautiful Things feed bundle and just had to comment on the part about taking a sweater off. I'm female and I do it both ways depending on whether or not I care about the garment being right side out when I'm done. However, if something is too tight (for example when trying on clothes while shopping) sometimes the only way to get it off without help and without tearing seams is the crossed armed way.

Just my observations and input. :)

Roderick Robinson said...

The cross-hands boogie method of sweater divestment carries the potential for great pain. Something about getting both hands in an interlock to the rear of one's back. For truly spectacular pain try removing a sweater or jacket while sitting in a car seat (though not while driving). This always works. The pain then scores ten out of ten, bringing it close to my ultimate rating induced by sciatica. Worse even than dislocating one's shoulder while simultaneously chipping the scapula, of which I wot.