Friday, February 12, 2010

winter, crackle, don't know

 
The Grove in winter.

In the icy wind, dead leaves dry and curled with the cold run wildly along the paths, as though they are on a half forgotten errand.

I seldom fill in questionnaires. And when I do, I am increasingly persuaded to tick the Don't Know boxes, where an opinion is required. The fact is that often I simply do not have the information required to form an opinion. I don't know who to believe. It is a beautiful thing sometimes to admit to ignorance when everyone about you appears to know the answers. I see today that 25% of British adults don't believe that the climate is changing. According to the same set of statistics,75% do. That leaves 0% who don't know. The sample clearly excludes me.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

HKatz said...

Lovely characterization of the leaves.

It is a beautiful thing sometimes to admit to ignorance when everyone about you appears to know the answers.

I agree. In general I have more confidence in people who can admit that they don't know something and don't just fake their way through their work or other areas of their lives.