Saturday, July 06, 2013

Berries, strangeness and therapy

Among the wild plants which I have encouraged but not consciously introduced in out little garden  are these strawberries, wild strawberries, fraise des bois. They recur every years but seldom more generously than this year. Here's a handful dressed with crème fraîche.
 
"If you haven't found something strange during the day, it hasn't been much of a day." This quote from the physicist, John A Wheeler fits in well with the purpose of my daily posts and the justification  for them which from time time to time I find myself producing.
 
People with labels hanging about their necks seem to be about in the street recently. I ask myself if they have been attending some sort of meeting or seminar and have forgotten to remove their identification. Or are they proud of the insignia and reluctant to remove them. It reminds me of someone I knew well, who, unsure of herself and her position in the world, aspired not so much to high office as to  a status, modest but useful. She saw herself in a white coat, and  her name engraved on the door of  a clinic or interview room where she could exercise her authority and provide help for someone in need of therapy.



 

1 comment:

Lucas said...

I think finding something strange is a key for keeping an equilibrium whether for a scientist or a mere observer as I am.