Thursday, July 17, 2008

visiting, hedge, story

Business.

Sometimes you forget that hedges are no more than lines of trees or shrubs pruned back so that they spread sideways. An unpruned privet with its creamy flowers, which seldom appear on our hedge, makes the point, round the corner from where we live, a frothing pyramid.

A girl on the train talks about friends on her mobile phone and shares their story with the entire compartment. She leaves a lot of questions unanswered, however. "He's lovely... he really loves her. I don't know what the problem was. She even called the police. I mean she's a model. He's a lot shorter... I said you can do so much better..."
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Roderick Robinson said...

Hedges! An opportunity for me to do something extraordinary - pass on a gardening tip. My wife and her sister were visiting a show garden. Having chauffeured them I was shuffling around to the rear. The proprietor, taking my sullenness to be a disguised form of interest, pointed to a sort of miniature Versailles. "Those are box," she said, "but box is expensive. Ericas are cheaper and do the same job." I pass this on for what it is worth.

Unknown said...

Box is a slow grower and is good for knot gardens and the like where low hedges are required. Erica, heather in fact, is also suitable for low hedging. I inherited out privet hedge when we moved here 20 years ago. It serves as an essential screen between the sitting area of our small garden and the road and pavement which make a right angle bend round it. The hedge is more than 6ft high and two and half feet wide, and took a long time to get that way. To grow any other sort of hedge would, I suspect, take longer to provide equivalent shelter from passers-by, than Time's winged chariot would allow us.

Lucy said...

1) Bee's knees!

2)Laurel's good...

3)I wonder which of them could have done so much better?

apomel said...

nice foto...