Saturday, March 10, 2012

drying anenomies rare


Posted by PicasaHanging out to dry.

Some windflowers or anemones at The Farmers Market. The label says, "three for five pounds".  I mistakenly say "three pounds" when I pay for them. "Three for five", the friendly stall holder reminds me. I make a joke about wishful thinking, and nevertheless hand over just three pounds, which she accepts, her eye off  the ball. |As I walk away I realise that my mind was far away too, and go back to hand over the remaining two pounds. I would never make a rogue, I think to myself. More 's the pity.

At a meat stall  at the market the talk is of rare breeds, Sussex and Hebridean lamb and  Gloucester Old spot and Saddle Back pigs. I think about these lovely looking animals. Were we all vegetarians, it is likely, I reflect, since they are only bred to be killed and eaten,  that far from being rare, they would not exist at all.

2 comments:

CC said...

Love, love, love the photo.

Unknown said...

They are soft toys rescued by neighbours from their attic. The owner of the toys is now in his forties.