Friday, March 09, 2012

ivy bats swoops


Posted by Picasa Nimble ivy climbs a trunk with pretty footsteps.

Among the garden  paraphernalia from last year I find, this morning, a bag of dried bat dung acquired from Oxfam. I have no idea why I didn't use it as intended to fertilise the vegetable beds  This year  I will  scatter it liberally over the ground, fork it into the soil  and think of those who dug it out of remote caves in Malaysia. I'll think of the bats too, hanging like tattered umbrellas from the rocky ceiling or fluttering into the night, bestowing from their nether parts their lime-rich nutrient for use in a distant land.

If I could be a bird I would choose to be a pied wagtail and fly in long, shallow, joyous swoops.

3 comments:

The Crow said...

This post is pure poetry, all, but especially so the second paragraph.

"I'll think of the bats too, hanging like tattered umbrellas from the rocky ceiling or fluttering into the night, bestowing from their nether parts their lime-rich nutrient for use in a distant land."

Beautiful!

CC said...

In agreement with Crow and add nice image as well.

Unknown said...

Cheers.