Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Fragment, vertical rain and butterflies


Éclat is the name of this picture which belongs to my series of photographs of torn and fading posters on walls or panels. I would like you to imagine it  blown up to 4 ft by 7ft on a white wall in a gallery.
 
Last night a thunder storm. The rain falls vertically. The sound of it as I lie in bed half asleep beating on leaves outside the open window is tranquil and reassuring  after the storm.
 
The small white butterfly is pretty common but so scarce are butterflies hereabouts this summer that the sight of one dancing above  the nasturtiums seems worthy of comment. So comment I will. If it were scarce I would be praising the delicate tracery of its wings and the the two  brown spots on them which help  to identify the species.
 
 


2 comments:

marja-leena said...

Yes, I can imagine this image as a lrge work in a gallery!

You have now made me long for a thunderstorm to relieve this drought and heat. And made me remember a day in childhood where several of us kids were out in bathing suits, jumping in the rain and rushing water running down the street.

(Hope this comment comes through for I had no luck on yesterday's post even after three tries.)

Unknown said...

Good to hear from you. Blogger seems hard to understand. Sometimes it works. Sorry that you have had such difficulty. Others too.