Sunday, January 13, 2013

busy community long-tailed

My present occupations require me to wear a number of different hats. Here are just a few of them.

Community policemen are relatively new features of urban life. They are supposed to reassure the public and deter juvenile misbehaviour. Today I pass two of them in The Grove, a young man and a young woman kitted out in uniform. The young woman is wearing in addition to her uniform an imposing yellow vest which suggests a home for all sorts of gadgets. Weapons I presume are forbidden. A telephone hangs in the middle of it. Curiosity drives me to stare more intently than I should at this garment. "Hello, there, " she says. I feel reasonably reassured.

Twice recently I have seen a tree crowded with long tailed tits. Apparently they congregate at this time of year. If you exclude their long tails the are the smallest of the tits.

5 comments:

marja-leena said...

You have THAT many hats and persona!?

Loved your short story, but could not comment there. It's an interesting play between prehistoric and post apocalyptic!

CC said...

Love the hats... but do you have any other expressions? :-)

Roderick Robinson said...

I see with direct self-portraiture you're no more inclined to smile than I am

Lucas said...

The hat I would find it most difficult to recognize you in is the hat on the top left which i think is quite an effective disguise.

Unknown said...

All. When I look at myself in the mirror I can react with only one expression registering disbelief.