Thursday, May 20, 2010

breakwater, zapper, dandelion clocks


Posted by Picasa   A breakwater marches into the sea at St Leonards-on-Sea.

An irritating habit which should only be practiced in private is switching from TV station to TV station at in a random search for something of interest.  I don't like it when other people do it. I don't even like it when I do it.  But what's this? The French apparently have a single word for to surf or hop channels: zapper.  All I need is an opportunity to use it.

In the section of The Grove where they do not cut the grass, a crowd dandelion clocks float like buoys in a green sea.

4 comments:

The Crow said...

Uh...zapper is what we (some of us) call the TV remote control over here, and zapping is the active verb for surfing/cruising, though zapping is used less frequently, in my experience.

Getting zapped can refer to either getting drunk as a skunk or being shocked by static or live electricity. Used to apply to being hit with a taser, but that word is now tasered.

Love the breakwater photo, Plutarch.

The Crow said...

re: photo - the rest of that thought is that I like how the sea horizon disappears into the sky.

(Not thinking well today - making plumbing repairs and fighting with spiders in the darkest corner of the basement. UGHHH!)

Unknown said...

I'm glad to know that remote controls are called zappers. I've always looked for a good word. I'll use it in future.

I share your dislike of spiders. How brave you sound down there in the cellar! Of one thing I am certain. If I were a spider I would be more scared of a crow than the most arachnophobic crow could be of a spider. Courage, dear Crow.

Roderick Robinson said...

Wondered if my €2 paperback French-French dicker had the word and lo: 1. Passer d'une chaine de télévision à l'autre avec la télecommande. (Which certainly validates the reason for inventing zapper. 2. Changer d'occupation, d'opinion.