Thursday, December 20, 2012

Shard repeat skating


London's South Bank with its changing skyline. Centre of the picture is the newly completed Shard dwarfing the OXO Tower below it and to the left.

The proprietor of the convenience store greets me as I enter with, "how are you?"  I tell him and politely reciprocate with an enquiry about his health. I go to the the vegetable rack and pick up a bag of tomatoes which 30 seconds later I take to the counter. "How are you," he says. I tell him and politely reciprocate with an enquiry about his health.  With time predicted, according to a Mayan calendar,  to come to a complete stop tomorrow,  a lot can happen in 30 seconds.

In Calverley Grounds people are skating in the rain. Round and round the ring they go soggier by the minute. As I pass the loudspeaker is blaring Jingle Bells.

1 comment:

Roderick Robinson said...

Was it Aldous Huxley in BNW who postulated cinemas called the feelies, where the audience shared the experience of whatever was occurring on the screen? No need for such artificial stimulants with your photo. I can feel the cold barrelling down the Thames - a sort of meteorological aperitif to Roupell Street.