Sunday, November 04, 2012

patterns papaya orientation




































 Patterns  from a variety of sources decorate a section of pavement.

Instead of the usual prescribed small talk the check-out girl at Sainsbury's points to  one of  those large papayas  now available, and says: " What do you do with that?" I tell her and add that that slices of the fruit  are good with a squeeze of lime juice. She looks approving at other  purchases as she checks them out and says, "I must come round to your house for lunch."

In Calverley Grounds half the leaves of a beech are stripped from the branches while the other half remain. I should be able to deduce the points of the compass from this I think to myself. And sure enough, when I consult the compass on my key-ring, as I suspected it is from the branches facing south west, the direction of the prevailing wind, that  the leaves have been stripped.

5 comments:

marja-leena said...

I love the photo, especially the intriguing pictograph-like markings - a great find!

The Crow said...

Something meso-american about those marks, very ancient and mysterious looking. Good eye, Joe.

Anonymous said...

That made me chuckle. At the checkout, the other day, I was ru nning out of my own bags and said to the young lad "I don't think I'm going to make it". "Don't worry, madam ", he replied,"my colleague here is a trained paramedic."

Unknown said...

M-L and Crow At this time of year I seem to wander around with my head lowered in search of such things. In the Spring it is the other way round. I become Johny-head-in-air and run the risk of falling into ponds.

Anon Checkouts are often entertaining. In your exchange I am tempted to ask about tones of voice. Was your question imbued with despair and rather breathless? And was his reply concerned and gentle or delivered with a hint of laughter?

alimary said...

Till boy certainly had a twinle of wit in his eye. I hope he gets a promotion soon.

I am also amused that at 9.22 a.m I am asked to prove I am not a robot...