Friday, November 23, 2012

trail found names


And never the twain shall meet.

Having lost my mobile I thought it would be a good idea to ring the number from my land line. From inside a lacquered box  where I keep important bibs and bobs just a few feet away from me came its familiar ring. And I thought I had looked for it in the box too.

I speculate about people whom I have never met and who have the same name. I know that there is at least one other person with my name. He is a young cousin. And I am happy to share it with him.  But recently thanks to the Internet  I spotted another  quite unknown to me. It seems to me that you get used to your name and to find that it also belongs to another is like coming across someone wearing a favourite item of your clothing. "Hey", you want to say, "that's mine!"



2 comments:

Lucy said...

The evident fact that you have never Googled yourself speaks well of your modesty... It's quite fun though, there was a bit of a thing for writing a kind of found poem about it a while back.

Roderick Robinson said...

But I have, of course, been immodest and found a retired NFL quarter-back, an arsonist and a paedophile. Now I go out of doors in a slouch hat (whatever happened to them?)