Saturday, October 09, 2010

barrow, magpies, weekend


Posted by PicasaReady to roll, an upturned wheelbarrow in a skip.

 On  or circling one conifer in Calverley Park, there are, I count as I pass, seven, or is it eight,  magpies. Not popular birds and the object of much superstition, old saws and like, but striking.

I am  becoming used to the expected and almost look forward to it.  The helpful lady in  the Building Society never lets me down. A whiz at small talk, she greets me this morning with one of her favourite , "Doing anything nice this weekend?" A variation of, "doing anything nice, next weekend?"  which is reserved for earlier in the week.  Christmas is not yet upon us, but she is working on her repertoire which invariably includes, "have you done your Christmas shopping yet?"  Today she says: "People are getting ready for Christmas now, " she says, "arn't they?"

No comments: