Thursday, October 28, 2010

reflected, demolishing, mistaken


Posted by PicasaThis time it is a reflection  in wet sand rather than a shadow which  takes over the frame.

Today I undo one of my favourite jobs. Taking down the beanpoles is a melancholy business just the opposite of erecting the frame for the beans to climb in the Spring. But I make up for the sense of destruction by bunching the eight foot bamboo poles and tying them together neatly to stack against a wall, ready and easy to access for reuse in the Spring.

One of the problems associated with posting daily on this blog is that I find myself looking closely at, if not staring, at people. And everyone knows that it's rude to stare. Sometimes people who I have described  here seem so familiar when I see them again, that I think that I must be on greeting, if not speaking, terms with them. Today  I pass a man with a grey moustache, and a pipe between his lips. For a moment I mistake him for the barman at The Grove Tavern, who has a similar moustache but to the best of my knowledge, no pipe.  Then I realize just in time that he is  someone I have seen puffing through The Grove, his pipe alight, and smoke rising from it like smoke from a steam locomotive. I suppose it wouldn't have mattered if I had greeted him, but there is something about his moustache which suggests that he might be affronted by a good afternoon from someone to whom he has not been introduced.

6 comments:

The Crow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Crow said...

(My apologies for deleting this comment, but I have no patience today with my typos.)

Re: photo - unreal. And that is what intrigues me, I just discovered; they upset (tumble) my perception of reality, making me retink more things than the contents of the photos...which is good, Plutarch.

The Crow said...

(Somedays you're the windshield, some days you're the bug. I am the bug today. A retinking bug.)

marja-leena said...

You would enjoy walks in our neighbourhood for just about everyone says 'hi' even if you've never seen each other before.

CC said...

Spectacular photo!

Roderick Robinson said...

My impression is that moustaches are far rarer these days. As a result I scrutinise them more closely and find myself attributing character traits to them. Most seem to carry a hint of irritation. I tried to grow one but it came out a gingery brown and I couldn't square that with anything that was me. Also I couldn't stop fingering it. I suffered the same sort of self-consciousness with hats which must put me at the other end of the hat spectrum from you. I now find myself contemplating a sonnet entitled "Unadorned".