Saturday, October 30, 2010

walking, entrance, tie-less


Posted by PicasaShadows stepping out.

On my way to The Bloggers' Retreat yesterday, I pop in to take a shifty at The Savoy Hotel, which has just reopened after two years of refurbishment. Inside it looks much the same as it used to except that the tiles in the front hall are resplendently new and that goes for the chandeliers and hangings. It is as over the top as ever, as luxury hotels should be. The River Room looks like a movie set. The American Bar has retained its white grand piano and its Art Deco styling. The Grill has not yet reopened.  I do not linger. Outside the short bit of roadway that leads  from The Strand to the front entrance has retained it clearly marked instruction to drivers to  drive on the right (the only road in England where this rule prevails), but a mini-roundabout with a fountain in the middle has been added in the forecourt in front of the doors to emphasise the turning point for taxis and other cars picking up or dropping visitors.

When I hear a few minutes ago a reference on the radio to a tuxedo, I recall that when attending a "black tie dinner", the other day, I wore the customary dinner jacket, black trousers, black shoes, black socks, but no black bow tie, in fact no tie at all. My white shirt, however, was tailored rather elegantly and adorned with simple but exquisite buttons. I had forgotten about this act of idle rebellion from the moment the long evening kicked off until now. No one asked me to leave or suggested that I was improperly dressed.

3 comments:

marja-leena said...

"to take a shifty" - that's new to me. Is that an English colloquilism?

Hope the Blogger's Retreat was satisfying in food and company.

Unknown said...

I'm not sure if it's a colloquilism. I thought that it was. It just came into my head. But now that you ask ...

Unknown said...

The expression that was on the tip of my tongue was "shuftie". I don't why it came out as "shifty", but maybe, as I had no intention of having lunch or even a drink at The Savoy, shifty better described my attitude.