Friday, February 18, 2011

orchid, porcelain, running


Posted by PicasaConfrontation.

The sky behind the tulip tree this morning is like fine porcelain, which serves as a shade for the sun rising behind it. As the layers of mist shift, the intensity of the light increases, and now decreases, as though  it is controlled by a dimmer switch. There is  little colour: just lemon sky and the black trunks and branches of  the tree where, squirrels, silhouetted against the light, chase each other.  I sip my morning tea and enjoy the show.

As I walk across The Grove a lean, middle aged man is talking loudly into a telephone. He is applying for a job. The tone of his voice and its volume denotes his need for work.  "That's what I've been doing for the past 30 years," he shouts; "Yes, I'm good at getting up and running with new ventures."

No comments: